Under the theme “Positioning Oneself for Excellence in the 21st Century,” Nkumba University commemorated its 25th Graduation Yesterday, October 26, 2023, at the University’s main campus in Entebbe where 1,857 graduated with Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates.
Presiding over the ceremony was the University Chancellor, PDG Emmanuel Katongole who began by constituting the 25th Congregation of Nkumba University before invoking his authority to confer academic awards upon Graduands.
53% of the graduands were females and males accounted for the remaining 47%. 15 were awarded Doctorates, 236 Masters, 185 Postgraduate Diplomas, 997 Bachelor’s degrees, 247 Diplomas, and 177 certificates.
The event drew nearly 10,000 people, including government officials, dignitaries from the Buganda Kingdom, religious leaders, and guests from other Academic institutions.
High-profile figures including Rt. Hon. Robinah Nabbanja, the Prime Minister of Uganda, Gen Edward Katumba Wamala, the Minister of Works and Transport, Hon. Rafael Magyezi, the Minister for Local Government, and Owek. Eng. John Baptist Walusimbi, the former Katikiro of Buganda, attended the historic ceremony.
Rt. Hon. Robinah Nabbanja was the Chief Guest at the ceremony where she was also awarded a Master of Arts Degree in Monitoring and Evaluation.
In her address, she commended Nkumba University’s commitment to providing quality higher education and pledged government support for the institution.
” I would like to especially commend Nkumba University’s commitment to promoting and providing quality higher education to the citizens of Uganda,” said Rt. Hon. Robinah Nabbanja adding that “Government will endeavor to support the University whenever possible.”
As a graduate, the Prime Minister thanked her lecturers and University management for guiding her during her academic escapade, “I am very grateful for the immense support I have received as a student of Nkumba University.”
The Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Jude Lubega, expressed gratitude for the Prime Minister’s exemplary academic journey and acknowledged the support of staff, parents, and guardians in nurturing the graduates.
Prof. Jude encouraged graduates to leverage networking if they are to excel in the 21st century, “I implore you to connect with influential alumni and build meaningful relationships. These connections can provide insights, mentorship, and even job referrals that might not be advertised in the labor market.” said Pro. Jude Lubega.
The Minister of Works and Transport, Hon. Edward Katumba Wamala, received an Honorary Doctorate in recognition of his significant contributions to his community and the nation.
Among the standout graduates, Dan Kibuuka Kiguli, a Master of Science in Natural Resources graduate was the best master’s student posting a 4.81 Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA). Kandali Pius was the top performer at the bachelor’s level, and Mayep Majok Deng, the Captain of the Nkumba Marines Basketball team, received the Palle Moeller award for excelling in academics and co-curricular activities.
University Chancellor PDG Emmanuel Katongole urged the graduates to remain connected to Nkumba University, emphasizing their role as alumni in supporting and uplifting their alma mater.
This year’s graduation marked a significant increase compared to last year’s 1432 with 425 more graduates.